Saturday, August 30, 2014

Have You Ever Fallen in Love with a Character?

Have you ever read--or written about--a character you simply could not let go of? It's happened to me a few times. In fact, I have sequels pending for both Black and Blue Love and Lisa's Kiss. But the character who has enchanted me the most so far is Christa. I first met Christa when she played a starring role in my novel, Second Chance. There the poor girl is, finishing dinner in her favorite restaurant and nursing a broken heart, when her ex-lover sashays in with a group of friends. It turns out that her ex, Keri, has been transferred back to town. Once burned, twice shy, Christa is determined to adopt a hands-off policy but Keri, of course, has other ideas.

When I wrapped up that novel, I assumed Christa's story had been told, but she wasn't finished with me yet. Her life takes another twist when she tragically loses Keri. She's just about ready to give up on love entirely when she encounters Susan, a woman she had dated years earlier while she and Keri were separated.

Much to Christa's surprise, her old feelings for Susan are rekindled. She can see herself in a relationship with Susan, but can Susan ever forgive Christa for choosing Keri over her? For once, Christa can't control the outcome of her relationship. It's Susan's Choice.

That probably would have been the last I heard from Christa if it weren't for NaNoWriMo--National Novel Writing Month. If you've never done it, it takes place in the month of November each year. The idea is to write a 50,000 word novel in just 30 days. I decided to participate and, for some reason, I decided to write a mystery.

This time, the most logical protagonist was Susan's younger sister, Dorrie. Dorrie reunites with an old college flame, but right after she does, Susan and her family suddenly find themselves facing vandalism and homophobic threats. Who is the culprit?

As you might expect, Christa throws herself into the center of the action, determined to protect Susan at all costs and to save Dorrie from what might be a very Dangerous Reunion.

I haven't heard anything from Christa since completing the trilogy. Perhaps her life has finally calmed down. But I won't be a bit surprised if I sit down at the computer to write someday and hear Christa's voice in my head again. And if I do, I'll be delighted to tell her continuing story.

Which characters have clung to you over the years? Leave a comment about your favorite series of books and let me know!  

No comments:

Post a Comment